Saturday, 6 September 2014

Superfood Bread from Deliciously Ella



I'm a bit late to the party, I realise, but I have come across the fantastic  website of Deliciously Ella. She also has a cookbook which I must admit I might put on my Christmas gift list. Following a bout of serious food poisoning lately which has left me with a miserable irritable bowel, I have decided that it is about time I really looked at my diet and ways of getting more health food aware. Okay I do eat fresh as often as possible - and try to cook for my family often, but I realise in comparison with my work collegues, I am definitely wanting. To combat the IBS I have been taking Psyllium husk (2 teaspoons with juice in the morning). This is a natural 'sweeper' keeping your gut clear and healthy. I've also been taking a probiotic supplement to help replace the healthy bacteria in my stomach and oregano drops in water to get rid of the bad bacteria. The latter is, frankly, disgusting and leaves me tasting oregano for a while ever since. This combination does seem to be doing the trick, no bloating and things getting back to normal, so spurred on I looked at healthy recipes especially to replace things like bread in my diet. And this is when I came across Deliciously Ella and her Superfood Bread recipe.

You will need to make a trip to your local health food store as some of these ingredients are not readily available in your supermarket, but they will last you a long time and can be used in lots of the recipes you will find on her website.

Ingredients for Superfood Bread

2 cups cold water
1.5 cups pumpkin seeds
1 cup buckwheat or brown rice flour (I used buckwheat)
0.5 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup almonds
3 heaped tablespoons psyllium husk powder
2 tbs chia seeds
2 tbs dried herbs (I used mixed Italian herbs)
salt and pepper




Grind 1 cup of the almonds and 1 cup of pumpkin seeds in a food processor until they go down to a coarse flour. Put in a large mixing bowl with all the other ingredients then add the water and mix. Leave to stand for an hour and in the meantime heat oven to 180 degrees. Make sure the mixture is really firm - if it is still runny or wet add more psyllium husk powder as this is the binder.

Bake for 40 mins - 1 hour until a knife comes out cleanly. Serve toasted with favourite toppings.


Related Stories...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...