Friday, 29 August 2014

Top 10 books that have left a lasting impression



I was just asked in a challenge doing the rounds on Facebook to post the 10 books that have made a lasting impression on me in the past. I wasn't to take very long doing it to keep things really spontaneous, and I did stick to this rule although I had to go back and look up the author on more than one occasion.

Since posting my list I have thought of a few more, The Magus by John Fowles, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving and The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks to name just three. So here in no particular order are my top 10 books that have left a lasting impression:

Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd. Dark and brooding and very scary I can't pass by a Nicolas Hawksmoor church without thinking of it.
A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth - passionate and takes you to another time and place entirely.
The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake - why this hasn't been made into a film I will never know.
Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain - a truly gripping account of love and war.
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - full of surprises and shocks. There are some bad people out there...
The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde - a laugh out loud caper that is just so very clever.
Perfume by Patrick Suskind - the descriptions of fragrances and smells are still evocative.
The Thurber Carnival by James Thurber - a collection of his New York Times stories, very imaginative and a little bizarre.
The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window by Jonas Jonasson - a brilliant take on the momentous characters and events of the 20th century.
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - Vronski was my first love too.


Related Stories...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...