Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Shirley Temple was part of my childhood


This is a face I grew up with. Not much older than Shirley Temple was when she started her gruelling 6 day weeks of filming, I started watching Shirley Temple movies from a very young age. Saturday afternoons; no ballet, no school, no homework, invariably raining, but I had a Shirley Temple movie to keep me happy. It didn't matter that we had a black and white TV as her films were mainly in black and white. They were a window onto a world that was so far removed from mine. My mum used to sing 'On the Good Ship Lollipop' in a funny, squeeky voice to make us laugh. Her films were very jolly and made for a generation reeling from the Depression. But somehow a little girl in a North London suburb in the 1960's really enjoyed them too. Shame they are just too dated for my girls but alas they are. Really sad she has died. I don't think we will ever see a child star like her again. At the age of 12 she was over but that is when her life really came into being and  after 20 years building that life out of the public eye she came back as a US ambassador. I wonder if the likes of Justin Beiber will do the same? 

Related Stories...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...