Sunday, 8 April 2012
Orange and Almond Cake
This is a fantastically different recipe as it contains no fat, no flour but isn't all saintly as it does have a lot of sugar. Serve with creme fraiche or ice cream..
2 large oranges
200g caster sugar (I use golden)
200g ground almonds
1.5 tsp baking powder
6 medium eggs
For the drizzle
100g caster sugar
1. Peel the rind off the oranges with a peeler and put in a separate saucepan for later. Cover the oranges with water and simmer for two hours until soft.
2. Put all the ingredients into a food processor and mix together then pour into a 20cm lined baking tin.
3. Bake on 200c/180c fan/gas mark 6 for 50 mins - well this is what it says in the recipe but to be honest this isn't enough and I give it around 15 mins longer.
4. Remove from tin and cool on rack.
5. Make drizzle with sugar, orange peel and 300ml water - simmer until liquid becomes thicker then drizzle over the cake.
Serve immediately or the next day - to be honest it's way better the next day!